The List of Iranian Human/Medical Geneticists
1: Dr. Seyed Mohammad Akrami
Marital Status: Married
Date of Birth: 1970
Background & Qualifications
1988-1995; Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran; M.D.
1998-2002; Institute of Genetics, Nottingham University, UK; Ph.D.
M.D thesis topic:
Levothyroxine suppression therapy and single thyroid cold nodule.
The result of this project was published in the Therapy 2005; 2(6): 883-888.
Ph.D. research topic:
“Diagnostic Application of Human DNA Copy Number Analysis”
Human DNA cloning, Southern blotting, PCR, sequencing are some of the methods used during my PhD. My study examines human DNA copy number alterations at four different genes, which their mutations can result in four distinct human diseases. MAPH [Multiplex Amplifiable Probe Hybridization] has been applied on these genes;
• TBX5 [Holt-Oram syndrome (HOS)]
• PMP22 [Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 1A (CMT1A) and Hereditary Neuropathy with Liability to Pressure Palsies (HNPP)]
• MSH2 and MLH1 [Hereditary Non-Polyposis Colorectal Cancer (HNPCC)].
Attended Courses & Workshops
Undergraduate Advanced Taught Modules (6 months), Institute of Genetics, Nottingham University;
- Medical Genetics - Cancer Genetics
- Ageing, Sex and DNA Repair - Lab project in cloning human DNA
- Medical Molecular Genetics
Some of courses by Graduate School, Nottingham University; Introduction to creating & publishing web pages, Nature of PhD and the supervision process, Further presentation skills, Intermediate Web Publishing, Planning Research & Time Management, Computing and Molecular Biology, Building a Bibliography, How to prepare an Effective Poster Presentation.
Attended courses by awarded fellowships from the organizers;
1. Sep 13-14, 2003: workshop on “Embryonic Stem Cell”. Royan Institute, Tehran, Iran.
2. Nov 8-13, 2004: “SAGE course” organized by EMBO. AMC, Amsterdam, Netherlands (partly funded).
3. Sep 24-28, 2006: “Molecular Cytogenetics and DNA Microarrays” organized by the European Genetic Foundation. Bertinoro, Italy (fully funded).
4. Sep 9-12, 2007: “Clinical Dysmorphology” organized by the European Genetic Foundation. Bologna, Italy (fully funded).
Assistant professor of the Endocrine and Metabolism Research Center (EMRC), Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS) since 19 April 2003.
Transferred to the Medical Genetics Department, TUMS since 21 March 2006.
As a TUMS faculty, I engage in teaching, research, administration and genetic counseling services.
Pasteur Institute of Iran Executive Advisor since 28 Aug 2008.
Scientific Activity & Professional Membership
Full Registered Member of Iranian Medical Council since 1995 [No. 54361] as a Medical Doctor and since 2002 as a Medical Geneticist.
EMRC Representative in Iranian Molecular Medicine Network and Iranian Medical Biotechnology Network (www.mbn.ir) [2003-2006].
Member of Scientific Committee of FICCG2003 (First International Congress of Cancer Genetics) held 13-16 Dec 2003; Tehran.
Scientific manager of “Endocrinopathies Genetic Counseling” workshop (5 July 2004).
Scientific manager of “Basic Molecular Endocrinology” workshop (10-11 July 2004).
Reviewer of “Journal of Medical Ethics” since 2003, “Medical Science Monitor” since 2006 and several Iranian Medical Journals (such as Yakhteh, Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid Disorders, Iranian Journal of Pediatrics, Iranian Journal of Public Health, Iranian Journal of Biotechnology).
Member of Scientific Committee of the “First Iranian Conference of Genetic Diseases” 18-20 Dec 2004; Tehran.
Member of Research Council of Iranian Molecular Medicine Network since Jan 2005 (www.irmolmednet.ir).
Member of Scientific Committee of “International Conference on Diabetes and Obesity- ICDO 2005” 20-22 April 2005; Tehran.
Vice president of “Iranian Society of Medical Genetics” (Apr 2005- Feb 2008). (http://www.imgsociety.com).
Member of Management Committee of Faculty Union of TUMS, since May 2005 (http://facultyunion.tums.ac.ir).
Invited speaker of the Iranian Endocrinologists Society. Title of talk: Genetics of Endocrinopathies. 10 Nov 2005.
Representative of the Iranian Society of Medical Genetics in the “Iranian Scientific Association of Clinical Laboratory” Management Committee (http://www.isacl.ir) since 2006.
Member of Scientific Committee of “Third International Workshop on Application of Advanced Molecular Methods for Diagnosis of Human Genetic Disease” 3-7 Dec 2005; NRCGEB, Tehran.
Invited speaker of the “Heart and New Technology 2006” conference. Title of talk: Approach to a Cardiac Congenital Abnormality from Medical Genetics aspect. 2 March 2006.
Member of Genetic Counseling National Committee of Iran Health Ministry. Since 4 Apr 2006.
Member of Scientific Committee of the “Second Iranian Conference of Genetic Diseases” 6-8 May 2006; Tehran.
Mentor and advisor of Medical doctor students, TUMS, since Sep 2006.
Invited speaker of the National workshop on Codes of Ethics in Research. Title of talk: Specific Codes of Ethics in Genetic Research. 15 Nov 2006.
Member of Scientific Committee of the “Second International congress of cancer Genetics” 30 Nov- 2 Dec 2006; Tehran.
Invited lecture, Ross University- Dominica. 25-29 Nov 2006.
Member of Scientific & Executive Committee of the “Lab-Med congress, Laboratory & Internal Medicine” 11-14 Jan 2007; Tehran.
Remote Training Center Director of Hybrid Courses by the European Genetic Foundation, Italy. (http://www.eurogene.org) for:
“The 18th Course in Medical Genetics” May 15-21 2005 ,
“The 9th Course in Cancer Genetics” Oct 1-5 2005,
“The 7th course in Genetic Counseling in Practice” Nov 9-14 2006,
“The 20th course in Medical Genetics”. May 5-11 2007,
“The 10th Course in Cancer Genetics” Sep 30-Oct 3 2007.
Education deputy of Medical Genetics department, TUMS since May 2007.
Member of National Board of Human Genetics, Ministry of Health, Nov 2007.
Honors and Awards
Oct 2001 Full scholarship to study for a PhD degree in Genetics at Nottingham University, awarded by Iran Ministry of Health and Medical Education.
Winner of the "Best Poster Prize", Clinical Laboratory Science School Conference, Nottingham University, 2000.
Nottingham University, Graduate School Travel grant to attend “51st Annual meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics. San Diego, USA, 2001”
1. Detection of a large TBX5 deletion in a family with Holt-Oram syndrome. SM Akrami, RM Winter, JD Brook, and JAL Armour. Journal of Medical Genetics. 2001; 38: e44.
2. DNA copy number analysis by Multiplex Amplifiable Probe Hybridization (MAPH): Molecular Diagnostic Applications. EJ Hollox, SM Akrami and JAL Armour. Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics. 2002; 2(4): 370-378.
3. Metabolic and clinical effects of Ramadan fasting in patients with type II diabetes. B Larijani, Sh Yarahmadi, MH Bastanhagh, M Pajouhi, RB Jalili, F Zahedi, K Zendehdel, and SM Akrami. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2003; 13(6): 329-32.
4. The agreement between QUS and DXA in the diagnosis of osteoporosis. MH Dabaghmanesh, B Larijani, A Soltani, M Pajouhi, SM Akrami, H Adibi, and Z Hamidi. Iranian South Medical Journal. 2002; 5(1): 55-59. [Persian]
5. Human Cloning. SM Akrami. Journal of Medical Council of Islamic Republic of Iran. 2003; 21(1): 76-77. [Persian]
6. Diagnosis of Gene Dosage Alterations at The PMP22 Gene Using MAPH. SM Akrami, JS Rowland, GR Taylor, and JAL Armour. Journal of Medical Genetics. 2003; 40(11): e123.
7. Diagnostic Value of Frozen Section Examination in Thyroid Nodule Surgery at the Shariati Hospital (1997–2000). M Shirzad, B Larijani, A Hedayat, N Kamalian, R Baradar-Jalili, F Bandarian, SM Tavangar, and SM Akrami. Endocrine Pathology. 2003; 14(3): 263-268.
8. Gene dosage analysis by multiplex amplifiable probe hybridization. JAL Armour, IA Rad, EJ Hollox, SM Akrami, GS Cross. Methods in Molecular Medicine. 2004; 92: 125-39.
9. Effects of levothyroxine suppressive therapy on bone mineral density in premenopausal women. B Larijani, F Gharibdoost, M Pajouhi, A Sadjadi, S Aghakhani, R Eshraghian, SM Akrami, G Maalouf. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2004; 29(1): 1-5.
10. Book Chapter; Genetics of Thyroid Cancer in “Diagnosis and Treatment of Thyroid Cancers, a review of thyroid cancers in Iran” p 41-70. 2004. Tehran; Tehran University of Medical Sciences Publication [Persian].
11. Book Chapter; Genetic factors in common diseases in “Genetics of Diseases” p. 243-299. 2004. Tehran; Tehran University of Medical Sciences Publication [Persian].
12. Molecular Genetics Laboratory Establishment for Endocrinopathies. SM Akrami, P Amiri. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid disorders. 2004; 3(2): 207 [Persian].
13. Genetics of Holt-Oram Syndrome. SM Akrami, P Amiri. Iranian Journal of Pediatrics. 2003; 13(2): 153- 160 [Persian].
14. Brain death: Recent ethical and religious considerations in Iran. SM Akrami, Z Osati, F Zahedi, M Raza. Transplantation Proceedings. 2004; 36(10): 2883-2887.
15. A simple method to screen for exonic deletions and duplications in HNPCC genes. SM Akrami, M Dunlop, I Frayling, F Macdonald, J Harvey, JAL Armour. Familial Cancer 2005; 4(2): 145-149.
16. Diabetes mellitus following pituitary adenomectomy in euglycemic patients with acromegaly. B Larijani, M Nakhjavani, R Baradar-Jalili, SM Akrami, F Bandarian. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2005; 15(7): 430-32.
17. Role of levothyroxine suppressive therapy for benign cold nodules of thyroid: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. B Larijani, M Pajouhi, MH Bastanhagh, A Sadjadi, S Aghakhani, F Zare, N Sedighi, MR Eshraghian, AH Nadjafi, MR Amini, H Adibi, SM Akrami. Therapy. 2005; 2(6): 883-888.
18. Insulin production by Human Stem Cells. B Larijani, SM Akrami, MM Amoli. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2005; 7(3): 269-278 [Persian].
19. Special Attention in Prenatal Genetic Counseling of Familial Cancer Syndromes. SM Akrami. Medical Journal of Reproduction and Infertility. 2006; 6(5): 563-564 [Persian].
20. Review of compiling of ethical guidelines for genetic research in Iran. E Motevasseli, SM Akrami, S Zeinali, MH Modaresi, A Parsapour, K Aramesh, M Mohammadian, B Larijani. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences. Autumn 2005; 5: 49-54 [Persian].
21. Genetics of Hereditary Nonpolyposis Colorectal Cancer (HNPCC). SM Akrami. Archives of Iranian Medicine. 2006; 9(4): 381 – 389.
22. Consanguineous marriage; genetic counseling, culture and religious aspects. SM Akrami. Iranian Journal of Pediatrics. 2006; 16(3): 359- 365 [Persian].
23. A common polymorphism in the promoter of UCP2 gene in an Iranian normal population. J Heidari, SM Akrami, R Heshmat, P Amiri, H Fakhrzadeh, M Pajouhi. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid disorders. 2006; 5(3): 209- 215 [Persian].
24. Association study of polymorphism of the PPAR-γ2 gene and obesity. H Mirzaei, T Golmohammadi, SM Akrami, M Doosti, M Nakhjavani, R Heshmat, P Amiri. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid disorders. 2006; 6(1): 9-16 [Persian].
25. Is Consanguineous Marriage Religiously Encouraged? Islam and Iranians Considerations. SM Akrami, Z Osati. Journal of Biosocial Science. 2007; 39(2): 313-316.
26. Association Studies in the Common Endocrine Diseases. SM Akrami, J Heidari. Tehran University Medical Journal. 2007; 64(11): 1-10 [Persian].
27. Genetic Counseling in Diabetes. SM Akrami. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid disorders. 2007; 6(3):205-214 [Persian].
28. Association study of apoA-I gene polymorphisms and lipid profile and type 2 diabetes in an Iranian population. A Besharati, S.M. Akrami, R. Heshmat, P. Yaghmaee. Journal of Medical Council of Islamic Republic of Iran. 2007; 25(2): 132-141 [Persian].
29. A 36 years old woman with Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome (HGPS): (case report). Akrami SM, Yousefzadeh GR. Tehran University Medical Journal. 2007; 65(9): 77-81 [Persian].
30. The Common -866G/A Polymorphism of the UCP2 Gene in Healthy Iranians Compared with World Populations. SM Akrami, J Heidari, R Heshmat, P Amiri, H Fakhrzadeh, M Pajouhi. Human Biology. 2007; 79(1): 103-110.
31. Mutation Detection of RET proto-oncogene (Cys634Arg) in an Iranian child. E Alvandi, M Pedram, AR Soroush, B Noorinayer, SM Akrami. Iranian Journal of Pediatrics. 2007; 7(Sup 2):301-305 [Persian].
32. Prevalence of consanguineous marriages among patients referred to diabetes and osteoporosis clinics of Dr Shariati hospital, Tehran, Iran. S Rashid Shomali, V Montazeri, SM Akrami, R Heshmat, B Larijani. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid disorders 2007; 7(1):85-90 [Persian].
33. Case Report of a lady with 13:14 translocation- Special Attention in Prenatal Genetic Counseling of chromosomal translocations. SM Akrami, M Maddah. Medical Journal of Reproduction and Infertility. 2007; 32: 283-286 [Persian].
34. Association of Cys 311 Ser Polymorphism of Paraoxonase-2 Gene with the Risk of Coronary Artery Disease. A Jalilian, E Javadi, SM Akrami, H Fakhrzadeh, R Heshmat, M Rahmani, F Bandarian. Arch Iranian Med 2008; 11 (5): 544 – 549.
35. Genetic Counseling in Southern Iran: Consanguinity and Reason for Referral. M Fathzadeh, MA Babaie Bigi, M Bazrgar, M Yavarian, HR Tabatabaee, SM Akrami. Journal of Genetic Counseling. 2008; 17(5):472-9.
36. Is there a Significant Trend in Prevalence of Consanguineous Marriage in Tehran?: A Review of Three Generations. SM Akrami, S Rashid Shomali, V Montazeri, R Heshmat, B Larijani. Journal of Genetic Counseling. 2009; 18(1):82-86.
37. Ethical Dilemmas on the Science of Forensic Genetics. SM Akrami, A Bastani. Accepted in Iranian Journal of Ethics in Science 2008 [Persian].
38. Possible Association of the -866G/A UCP2 gene Promoter Polymorphism with type 2 Diabetes and Obesity in the Iranian population: a case control study. Submitted.
May 1999, The Sixth Seminar of Iranian Students in Europe, UMIST, Manchester.
May 2000, First year PhD Symposium, Nottingham University. Work presented as oral presentation.
May 2000, Iranian Students Seminar, Europe 2000, Manchester. Oral presentation: DNA Copy Number Analysis on Holt-Oram syndrome Gene.
Aug 2000, The First Iranian Medical Sciences Postgraduate Students Conference, Tehran. Oral presentation: DNA Copy Number Analysis at the TBX5 and PMP22 genes. My presentation won the first prize in the genetics group.
Sep 2000, British Human Genetics Conference, York. Work presented as poster: DNA Copy Number Analysis at the TBX5 Gene. Published in the Journal of Medical Genetics 37: 804 Suppl. 1 Sep 2000 (S89).
May 2001, Mutation Detection 2001, VI International Symposium on Mutation in the human Genome. Slovenia. Poster presentation: DNA copy number at the PMP22 gene (abstract book; poster 2, p.33).
Oct 2001, 51st Annual meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics. San Diego, USA. Poster presentation: A new approach to detect gene dosage at the PMP22 gene. Published in the American Journal of Human Genetics 69: 4 Suppl. Oct 2001 (1500).
Nov 2001, Young Geneticists Meeting, Leicester University. Oral presentation: One gene and two disorders! A new method to screen gene dosage at the PMP22 gene.
March 2002, PamGene symposium, Netherland: Automation of Multiplex Amplifiable Probe Hybridisation (MAPH) for Quantitative Detection of Genomic Rearrangements. Y Wu, SM Akrami, M Kalf, P Datta, S White, R Ruijtenbeek, J J Wijnen, T den Dunnen, T Kievits, , AB Chan, JAL Armour, R van Beuningen.
June 2002, ISS2002: UCE, Birmingham. Oral presentation “A simple method to screen for exonic deletions and duplications in HNPCC genes”.
Dec 2002, ICGDD 2002 conference, University of Welfare and Rehabilitation, Tehran, Oral presentation.
9-10 March 2003, Dialogue and Promotion of Bioethics in Asia. Singapore Workshop. Invited speaker report on “Islamic Issues in Bioethics; Iran considerations”.
13–16 Dec 2003, First International Congress on Cancer Genetics. Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Scientific committee member and talk.
13-17 Sep 2004, Application of Advanced Molecular Methods for Diagnosis of Human Genetic Diseases. Oral presentation in the ICGEB 2004 International Workshop.
25-27 Sep 2004, The 9th Symposium on Genetics in Health and Disease– Implications for the Individuals, Family and Community. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Invited speaker; two talks and chairman of a panel.
Dec 2004, ICGDD 2004 conference, University of Welfare and Rehabilitation, Tehran, Scientific committee member.
20 Dec 2004, Genetics of Multifactorial Diseases. Oral presentation in the “First Iranian Congress of Genetic Diseases”; Tehran.
20 April 2005, Workshop on “Genetic Counseling on Diabetes and Obesity”- ICDO 2005- Oral presentation “overview, resources, pedigree in the Genetic Counseling and Chromosomal disorders”; Tehran, Iran.
27 Nov 2005, ABI DNA Sequencing Seminar- Oral presentation “Human DNA copy number analysis using a sequencer!”, Pathobiology department, TUMS.
7 Dec 2005, Oral presentation “Association studies in the Multifactorial diseases: UCP2 as a model”. 3rd International Workshop on Application of Advanced Molecular Methods for Diagnosis of Human Genetic Disease- metabolic disorders; NRCGEB, Tehran.
12-14 March 2006, The First International Medical Genetic Conference in Kuwait. Invited speaker; two talks and a poster. Title of main talk: Ethics of Genetic Counseling; Islamic prospective.
8 May 2006, Association studies in Endocrine diseases. Oral presentation in the “Second Iranian Congress of Genetic Diseases”; Tehran.
10 May 2006, Association study between the UCP-2 promoter gene polymorphism, diabetes type 2 & obesity. Oral presentation in the “13th Aisa- Oceania Congress of Endocrinology”; Tehran, Iran.
19 Sep 2006, Oral presentation “Different molecular diagnosis of Charcot-Marie-Tooth type 1 A”. 4th International Workshop on Application of Advanced Molecular Methods for Diagnosis of Human Genetic Disease- neuromuscular diseases; Queshm Island, Iran.
4 Jan 2007, Invited speaker of the Iranian Neurogenetic Society. Title of talk: “Genetic application on diagnosis & prevention of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease”, Mofid Hospital, Tehran.
12 Jan 2007. Oral presentation “Approach of Medical Genetics in the Endocrine diseases (case report)”. Lab-Med Congress, Tehran. Published in Iranian Journal of Public Health, 2007: 36(1):92.
25 April 2007, Invited speaker of the Iran Genetic Society. Title of talk: “Genetics of Ambiguous Genitalia in Newborns”, Imam Hospital, Tehran.
14 May 2007, Invited speaker of the 2nd Iran Laboratory & Medicine Congress, genetic panel; Genetics and Disorders of Endocrine and Metabolism. Held by ISACL; http://irlabmedcongress.com
16 May 2007, Oral presentation “Heart diseases and diagnostic techniques”. 5th International Workshop on Application of Advanced Molecular Methods for Diagnosis of Human Genetic Disease- metabolic disorders; NIGEB, Tehran.
“Multifactorial, Immune and Cytoplasmic inheritance” and “Congenital Malformations, teratogens, twin studies and genetic counseling” - 2 different lectures for MD students of the TUMS. Annually Genetics course.
Medical Genetics course for medical students in different Iranian medical universities, as well as psychiatry MSc students in Tehran University.
Genetics of complex disorders, Genetics of Endocrinopathies, GI cancer, Genomic disorders, Congenital Anomaly, Inborn Errors of Metabolism, Pharmacogenetics for MSc and PhD students of the Medical Genetics Department, TUMS.
Molecular Cell Biology lecturing for MSc & PhD students of the TUMS (Immunology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Toxicology, Pharmacology, Physiology & Nanotechnology). Subjects; nuclear content, mitochondrial DNA, gene cloning, molecular application of DNA.
Cancer Genetics, Genetic Counseling & Population Genetics for MDs; several national courses held by Iran Ministry of Health and Iran Welfare Organization.
Cancer Genetics course for MSc students in Molecular Cell biology and Genetics, Islamic Azad University, Tehran.
Computer and bioinformatics course for MSc students in Human Genetics, TUMS.
Research Thesis Supervision
1. “Association study between the promoter of UCP-2 gene polymorphism and type 2 Diabetes and obesity”. Endocrinology fellow thesis (Dr Javad Heidari), TUMS University. The study was finished in Dec 2005.
2. “Association study between the PPAR2 (Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptor 2) gene polymorphism and type 2 diabetes and obesity”. Clinical Biochemistry MSc thesis (Mr Hasan Mirzaei), TUMS University. The study was finished in May 2006.
3. “Study of Consanguineous marriage frequency in three generations in people admitted to the EMRC Clinic”. Medical Doctor thesis (Miss Somaieh RashidShomali & Vahideh Montazeri), TUMS University. The study was finished in Sep 2006.
4. “Association study between the apoA-1 (Apolipoprotein) gene polymorphism and type 2 diabetes”. Cell and Molecular Science MSc thesis (Ms Afsaneh Besharati), Tehran Azad University. The study was finished in Feb 2007.
5. “Study of the RET gene mutations in Iranian patients with Medullary Thyroid Cancer”. Human Genetics MSc thesis (Mr Ehsan Alvandi), TUMS University. The study was finished in May 2007.
6. “New Microsatellite around fibrinogen genes for diagnosis of carrier parents”. Biotechnology MSc thesis (Ms Fatemeh Javadi Zarnaghi), Tehran University. The study was finished in Sep 2008.
7. “Impact of biological factors on criminal behavior, emphasis on genetic factors”. Law and Criminology MSc thesis (Mr Amir Bastani), Tehran University. The study was finished in Feb 2009.
Prof. John AL Armour (PhD supervisor) firstname.lastname@example.org,
T: +44 (0)115 823 0308 (int 30308)
Prof. David Brook (Head of Institute) email@example.com,
T: +44 (0)115 823 0345 (int 30345)
Institute of Genetics, The University of Nottingham, Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, UK
Dr Mohammad Reza Amini (Researcher and administrative deputy, EMRC, TUMS) firstname.lastname@example.org, 5th floor, EMRC, Shariati Hospital, North Kargar St., Tehran, 14114 Iran.
Dr Mohammad Hossein Modaresi (Head of Department of Medical Genetics, TUMS) email@example.com
1: Prof Gholamali Tariverdian
1: Dr. MAZIAR ASHRAFIAN
Maziar Ashrafian, aka Maziar Ashrafian Bonab, was born on 20 September 1966 in Tehran, Iran. He is a population geneticist specializing in forensic genetics (the use of the DNA markers in the investigation of crimes). His groundbreaking research uses human DNA markers to identify the ancestral history of humans in both anthropological and forensic cases.
In 2003, he got his MS degree in Biomolecular Archaeology from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST). He has published various books and research papers. Before doing his PhD in Cambridge, he first qualified and worked as a Medical Doctor (1984-1991) in Iran. After passing a course in forensic medicine at the Iranian Legal Medical Organization (in Persian: Saazmaan-e Pezeshki-e Ghaanooni-e Iran), he was appointed as the head of Legal Medical Centre at Hormozgan Province of Iran for four years (1992-1996). As well as dealing with many different forensic cases and having done more than 400 autopsies, he taught forensic medicine and medical anthropology to the undergraduate and postgraduate students in the Bandar-Abbas University of Medical Sciences and Bandar-Abbas Azad University. He worked as a biological anthropologist at the Iranian Archaeological Research Centre at the Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization from 1996 to 2002 and he participated in seventeen archaeological excavations around Iran.
Currently he is a Senior Lecturer in Biological Sciences in the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Portsmouth in UK. One of his latest articles on Genetic Structure of Human Populations co-authored by Handley and Balloux appeared in the international periodical of Heredity.
In his current research he is using genetic tools to investigate the maternal and paternal history of the Iranian population (Iranian Azerbaijan), the emergence of first farmers in the Iranian Plateau (eastern parts of the Fertile Crescent) and the origin of Aryans (Indo-Iranians) and Indo-Aryan race theory.
Dr. Maziar Ashrafian Bonab- Burnt City (Shahre-Sokhte)- Sistan and Balochestan Province, Iran (2000)- A 5000 year old skelton
Ashrafian Bonab, M., Handley, L., and F. Balloux (2007): Is Urbanization Scrambling the Genetic Structure of Human Populations? Heredity 98: 151-156.
Kahn, J. (2008): Infectious Melodies, the Boston Globe, 14 June 2008.
Nova Website (2008): Online Profile of Pardis Sabeti.
Nova Website (2008): Online Interview with Pardis Sabeti, Ask the Expert.
Saadat Noury, M. (2008): Various Articles on First Iranians.
Sabeti, P. and Others (2007): Genome-wide detection and characterization of positive selection in human populations, Nature 449: 913-918.
Thousand Days Website (2008): Pardis Sabeti, Bob Katsiaficis, Dana Goulet.
Wikipedia Encyclopedia (2008): Online Note on Maziar Ashrafian Bonab.
Wikipedia Encyclopedia (2008): Online Note on Pardis Sabeti.
2: Dr. Hossein Esfandiary
Dr. Hossein Esfandiary
Name Hossein Esfandiary
Date of Birth 26.04.1969
Nationality British / Iranian
1994-1998 University of Ulster, Jordanstown
Title: Cellular effect of Low Energy Lasers
Examined protein and mRNA patterns following laser treatment of human leukaemic cell lines
1991-1992 University of Ulster, Jordanstown
Postgraduate Diploma in Business and Accounting
1987-1990 University of Ulster, Coleraine
Upper 2nd Class Honours Degree in Biomedical Sciences
1984-1987 Castlereagh College, Belfast
A-Levels: Chemistry (A), Maths (B), Biology (C)
Apr’04-Present Clinical Scientist (HPC Registered)
Northern Ireland Regional Genetics Centre
Belfast City Hospital Trust
Jan’02-Mar’04 Research Fellow
Queens University, Belfast, N. Ireland
Research into the genetics of degenerative eye disorder known as Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
· DNA Extraction
· Primer design
· DNA sequencing / fragment analysis / snapshot
· Use of bioinformatics tools
· Student training
Oct’00-Nov’01 Senior Scientist
· Erythrocyte electroporation and loading
· Flow cytometry analysis
· ELISA development
· Device evaluation
· Preparation of SOPs
· Staff training
Sept’98-Sept’00 Research Scientist
Randox Laboratories Ltd
Crumlin, N. Ireland
· Evaluation of clinical chemistry kits
· QC testing
· Research into latex enhanced immunoassays
· Staff training on use of automated analysers
· Responding to customer queries
University of Ulster,
Jordanstown, N. Ireland
· Student training
· Class supervision
· Assessment responsibilities
DNA extraction, fluorescent DNA sequencing, fragment analysis, primer design and PCR, MLPA, Southern blotting, snapshot single base extension genotyping method, RT-PCR, protein labelling, tissue culture, Western blotting, Northern blotting, ELISA development, flow cytometry. Also developed latex enhanced immunoturbidimetric assays for detection of bacterial antigens using covalently modified latex particles.
“Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration risk based on CFH, LOC387715/HTRA1, and smoking”, PLoS Med 2007; 4 (12); e355
“A common CFH haplotype, with deletion of CFHR1 and CFHR3, is associated with lower risk of age-related macular degeneration”, Nature Genetics (2006), 38: 1173 – 1177
“Association study of detoxification genes in Age-Related Macular Degeneration”, BJO 2005:89:470-474.
“Cellular effects of low intensity laser irradiation”. Poster presentation at the Royal Academy of Medicine, Queens University, Belfast, June 1996.
“Investigation of the thermal effects of low energy lasers”. Oral presentation at the Royal Academy of Medicine, University of Limerick, Ireland, July 1997.
“Thermal effects of low energy lasers”. Poster presentation at the Congress of the European Society for Photobiology, Stresa, Italy, September 1997.
Dr. MIR REZA BEKHEIRNIA, M.D.
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics
Baylor College of Medicine
"Dr. Bekheirnia's research interest involves genetic/genomic studies of kidney and urinary tract diseases. His specific project at this time is congenital anomalies of kidney and urinary tract (CAKUT) including isolated CAKUT and unknown syndromes that involve CAKUT. If you or your urologist/nephrologist colleagues know a family who would be willing to participate in his study please email Dr. Bekheirnia."
Clinical Care Center
6701 Fannin St. Suite 1560
Houston, TX 77030
Clinic: (832) 822-4280
July 2011 Assistant Professor, Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX/Clinical duty in pediatrics and adult genetics clinics/Clinical whole exome sequencing as diagnostic lab activity
July 2012 K12 Scholar, the Multidisciplinary K12 Urologic Research (KURe) Career Development Program, Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine
EDUCATION AND CLINICAL TRAINING
July 2011-July 2012 Baylor College of Medicine, Clinical Molecular Genetics Fellowship
July 2009-July 2011 Baylor College of Medicine, Clinical Genetics Fellowship, Houston, TX June 2006-July 2008 University of Colorado at Denver, Categorical Internal Medicine Residency, United States
October 2000-June 2006 Research training in Tehran University of Medicial Sciences and University of Colorado Denver (Please see POST-GRADUATE RESEARCH/LAB TRAINING section below)
February 1993-August 2000 Doctorate of Medicine: Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran, M.D. received in August 2002 after completion of mandatory national service in Iran
Texas Medical Board- July 2011: Full license to practice medicine in state of Texas-P0344
ECFMG CERTIFIED 12/2005
STEP 3 (USMLE) (199, 80) 1/25&26/2006-STEP 2CK (USMLE) (247, 99)11/2/2005
STEP 1 (USMLE) (228, 92) 9/6/2005-STEP 2CS (USMLE) 5/17/2005
Full license to practice medicine-Iran-2002
November 2011-2021 American Board of Medical Genetics-Clinical Genetics
November 2012- American Board of Medical Genetics-Clinical Molecular Genetics, Active candidate
POST-GRADUATE RESEARCH/LAB TRAINING
July 2011-July 2012: ABMG clinical molecular genetics training-Medical Genetics Laboratory-Baylor College of Medicine: DNA extraction, Sanger sequencing, southern blot, MLPA, sequenom genotyping, a-CGH, SNP array and whole exome sequencing techniques, data analysis, interpretation and writing reports
November 2009-June 2011: Clinical Genetics Fellow, Dr Belmont’s lab/Laboratory of Translational Genomics, Baylor College of Medicine, a-Genome Wide Association Study on Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm b-Trained for high-throughput genotyping and expression arrays techniques, data interpretation and analysis
August 2008-June 2009 Post-Doctoral Research fellowship: Genetics Laboratory of Polycystic Kidney Disease Research Group, University of Colorado at Denver, studying a- Genotype-Phenotype correlation in Alport syndrome b-Endothelin 1 gene polymorphism in ADPKD patients. c-Expression analysis of angiopoietins in ADPKD kidneys
January 2005-June 2006 Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, University of Colorado at Denver (Research Fellowship) Program supervisor: Dr. Robert W.Schrier
a- Polycystic Kidney Disease Research Group PI: Dr. Berenice Reed-Gitomer. Studying the affected families for the possibility of Anticipation in ADPKD b-Natural history of Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (ADPKD) and X-linked Alport’s disease
August 2002-December 2004 Tehran University of Medical Sciences: a- Clinical research on Beta-Thalassemia Major b-Peak bone mass in Iranian adolescents c- National project of Osteoporosis in Iran d-Hepatitis C in Hemodialysis Centers
October 2000-August 2002 Mandatory National Service, Charity Foundation for Special Diseases, Tehran, Iran
Medical Genetics Grand Rounds (Friday Noon Conference) all presented to department of
genetics at BCM: 1- Familial thoracic aneurysm; 9/4/2009 2- Milroy disease; 10/2/2009 3-
Hereditary Leiomyomatosis and Renal Cell Cancer; 12/11/2009 4- Congenital
hyperinsulinism; 1/22/2010 5- Pyridoxine dependent seizure; 5/7/2010 6-Hereditary
pancreatitis; 9/17/2010 7-Hypoplastic left heart; 1/7/2011 8-POLG mutations clinical
Other local oral presentations:
a-Lab meetings presentations: John Belmont lab 2010-2011
b-Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection: Genome-wide Approach and Pathway Analysis.
Oral presentation to Medical Genetics Laboratory (MGL) as a diagnostic DNA fellow
2009-2011 Baylor College of Medicine- First and 2nd year medical student small group discussion for medical genetics topics
2012-2013 Renal Genetics lectures for Internal Medicine residents at Baylor College of Medicine
2012-2013 Teaching rounds for fellows, residents and medical students in medical genetics
July 2012 K12 DK0083014, the Multidisciplinary K12 Urologic Research (KURe) Career Development Program Award
July 2011 Assistant Professor, Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
July 2005 Joint Japan/World Bank Graduation Study Program (JJ/WBGSP); selected for educational scholarship award
October 2004 Travel Grant of the Society for Endocrinology; for participation in the 195th meeting of the Society for Endocrinology; 1-3 Nov 2004, London, UK
June 2004 Award of International Society of Endocrinology; Travel grant to 12th International Congress of Endocrinology; Lisbon
September 2003WHO Collaboration Center grant, 4th European Congress on Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis, Nice, France
September 2003 Young scientist award in 2nd Young Medics’ International Conference, Yerevan, Armenia September 2003
July 2003 Young scientist award- for presenting poster, the 9th European Nutrition Conference; Rome, October 1-4, 2003
RESEARCH GRANT FUNDING
July 2012-present: NIH funded Multidisciplinary K12 Urologic Career Development Program-Baylor College of Medicine
2011-2012-Training in Molecular Genetics was supported by the Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, BCM/ T32-NIH training grant.
2009-2011 Research during the Clinical Genetics fellowship was supported by Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection project. PI: Drs Belmont JW, LeMaire SA, Milewicz DM
2005-2008 Research at University of Colorado supported by Dr Robert W.Schrier’s grants for ADPKD.
1-Yang Y, Muzny DM, Reid JG, Bainbridge MN, Willis A, Ward PA, Braxton A, Beuten J, Xia F, Niu Z, Hardison M, Person R, Bekheirnia MR, Leduc MS, Kirby A, Pham P, Scull J, Ding Y, Plon SE, Lupski JR, Beaudet AL, Gibbs RA, Eng CM. Outcomes from implementation of clinical whole exome sequencing for the molecular diagnosis of Mendelian disorders. N Engl J Med. 2013 August (Accepted for publication)
2- Bekheirnia MR, Zhang W, Eble T, Willis A, Shaibani A, Wong L, Scaglia F, Dhar SU.
POLG mutation in a patient with cataracts, early-onset distal muscle weakness and atrophy, ovarian dysgenesis and 3-methylglutaconic aciduria.Gene. 2012 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print]
3- Lemaire SA, McDonald ML, Guo DC, Russell L, Miller CC 3rd, Johnson RJ, Bekheirnia MR, Franco LM, Nguyen M, Pyeritz RE, Bavaria JE, Devereux R, Maslen C, Holmes KW, Eagle K, Body SC, Seidman C, Seidman JG, Isselbacher EM, Bray M, Coselli JS, Estrera AL, Safi HJ, Belmont JW, Leal SM, Milewicz DM.Genome-wide association studies identify a major susceptibility locus for thoracic aortic aneurysms and aortic dissections at 15q21.1, encompassing the FBN1 gene. Nat Genet. 2011 Sep 11;43(10):996-1000.
4- Andrabi S, Bekheirnia MR, Robbins-Furman P, Lewis RA, Prior TW, and Potocki L. SMAD4 mutation segregating in a family with juvenile polyposis, aortopathy, and mitral valve dysfunction. Am J Med Genet A. 2011 May; 155(5):1165-9.
5-Reed B, Nobakht E, Dadgar S, Bekheirnia MR, Masoumi A, Belibi F, Yan XD, Cadnapaphornchai M, Schrier RW. Renal ultrasonographic evaluation in children at risk of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010 Jul;56(1):50-6
6-Bekheirnia MR, Reed B, Gregory MC, McFann K, Shamshirsaz AA, Masoumi A, Schrier RW. Genotype-phenotype correlation in X-linked Alport syndrome. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010 May;21(5):876-83.
7- Masoumi A, Reed-Gitomer B, Kelleher C, Bekheirnia MR, Schrier RW. Developments in the management of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2008 Apr;4(2):393-407
8- Reed BY, McFann K, Bekheirnia MR, Nobakhthaghighi N, Masoumi A, Johnson AM, Shamshirsaz AA, Kelleher CL, Schrier RW. Variation in age at ESRD in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2008 Feb;51(2):173-83
9-Shamshirsaz AA, Bekheirnia MR, Kamgar M and Larijani B. Bone mineral density in Iranian adolescents and young adults with beta-thalassemia major. Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2007 Oct-Nov;24(7):469-79
10-M. C. Gregory, A. A. Shamshirsaz, M. Kamgar and MR. Bekheirnia: Alport’s Syndrome, Fabry’s Disease, and Nail-Patella Syndrome. In Schrier RW (ed.): Disease of Kidney and Urinary Tract (textbook) Chap19, 8th ed, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, November, 2006
11-Bekheirnia M. R., Schrier R. W, Pathophysiology of Water and Sodium Retention: Edematous states with Normal Kidney Function. Current Opinion in Pharmacology 2006, 6: 202-207
12-Nobakhthaghighi N, Kamgar M, Bekheirnia MR., McFann K, Estacio R, and Schrier RW. Relationship between Urinary Albumin Excretion and Left Ventricular Mass with Mortality in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Clin. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol, Sep 2006; 10.2215/CJN.
13- Shamshirsaz A. A., Bekheirnia M. R., McFann K., Johnson A. M., Cadnapaphornchai M., Schrier R. W. Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease in Infancy and Childhood: Progression and Outcome. Kidney International, 2005 Vol. 68, pp. 2218–2224
14-Bekheirnia MR,Shamshirsaz AA, Kamgar M and Larijani B. Serum zinc and its relation to bone mineral density in adolescents with thalassemia. Biol Trace Elem Res 2004 Mar; 97(3): 215-24.
15-Bekheirnia MR, Shamshirsaz AA, Kamgar M and Larijani B. Bone Mass Accumulation in Adolescents: Association with Calcium Intake and Serum 25(OH)D Proceedings of the 12th International Congress of Endocrinology- 2004; E831C0491: 441-445
16-Larijani B, Bekheirnia MR, Soltani A, Khalili-Far A, Adibi H, B-Jalili R.Bone mineral density is related to blood pressure in men. Am J Human Biol. 2004 Mar-Apr; 16(2): 168-71.
17-Shamshirsaz AA,Kamgar M, Bekheirnia MR et al. Prevention of Hepatitis C Transmission in Hemodialysis Center via Separation Hemodialysis Machines. BMC Nephrology 2004; 5:13
18-Shamshirsaz AA,Bekheirnia MR, Kamgar M and Larijani B.Metabolic and endocrinological complications in beta-thalassemia major: A Multicenter study in Tehran. BMC Endocr. Disord. Aug 2003; 3(1): 4
19- Shamshirsaz AA,Bekheirnia MR, Kamgar M…Larijani B. Therapeutic indices in thalassemia major: Association with bone mineral density. Payesh (Health Monitor- Journal of the Iranian Institute for Health Sciences Research) Jan 2004, 3(1): 75-81(Farsi)
20-Bekheirnia MR, Pajouhi M, Adibi H, B-Jalili R,G Erfanzadeh, Larijani B.Bone mineral density in male population: association with dietary calcium intake and blood pressure. Tabibe Shargh (Journal of Zahedan Univ. of Med. Sc.) Summer 2003, 5 (2): 93-100 (Farsi)
20-Bekheirnia MR, Shamshirsaz AA, Kamgar M and Larijani B. Copper in adolescents with thalassemia major: relation to bone mass abnormalities. Tabibe Shargh (Journal of Zahedan Univ. of Med. Sc.) Summer 2003, 5 (2): 79-86 (Farsi)
21-Tabatabaie SM, Kamgar M, Shamshirsaz AA,Bekheirnia MR and Larijani B.Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) in thalassemia major and its relationship with bone mineral density and puberty. Iranian South Medical Journal –Bushehr University of Medical Science & Health Services .2002; 5(1) 8-17 (Farsi)
22-Broumand B, Shamshirsaz AA, Kamgar M, Ayazi F, Hashemi SR,Bekheirnia MR Boozary N, Komeilian Z, Shamshirsaz AH, Tabatabaiee MR, Broumand V. Prevalence of hepatitis C infection and its risk factors in hemodialysis patients. Saudi Journal of Kidney Disease and Transplantation. 2002; 4 (13): 464- 472. (English)
23-Tabatabaie SM, Shamshirsaz AA, Bekheirnia MR, Kamgar M …Larijani B. Bone mineral density and its serum markers in thalassemia major, Iranian South Medical Journal – Bushehr University of Medical Sciences & Health Services. 2002; 5(1) 17-26 (Farsi)
24-Tabatabaie SM, Shamshirsaz AA, Bekheirnia MR,Kamgar M …Larijani B. Complications of beta-thalassemia major, Iranian South Medical Journal – Bushehr University of Medical Sciences & Health Services. 2002; 5(1) 63-73 (Farsi)
25-Bekheirnia MR, Rohani T. M, Soltanzadeh P. Thalassemia syndrome; Diagnosis and management KHASS: Journal of Charity Foundation for Special Diseases, 2002, 14: 24-26(Farsi)
1- M.R. Bekheirnia, Z. Niu, D. Scott, L. Potocki, P. Lurix, J.W. Belmont, D.J. Lamb, Y. Yang, C.M. Eng. Clinical whole exome sequencing identifies mutations in UPK3A in individuals with renal adysplasia. ASHG, October 2013, Boston
2-C. M. Eng, D. Muzny, J. Reid, M. Bainbridge, P. Pham, M. R. Bekheirnia, J. Beuten, M. Hardison, Z. Niu, R. Person, M. Vatta, F. Xia, A. Hawes, M. Wang, Y. Ding, H. Sun, M. Scheel, N. Saada, W. Liu, A. Braxton, P. Ward, A. Willis, J. Wiszniewska, S. E. Plon, J. R. Lupski, A. L. Beaudet, R. A. Gibbs, Y. Yang Clinical whole exome sequencing for the diagnosis of Mendelian disorders: program design, implementation, and first year reporting experience. ASHG; November 2012 (1742W) (Abstract)
3-F. Xia, J. Beuten, M. Bainbridge, Z. Niu, M. Vatta, M. R. Bekheirnia, R. E. Person, M. Hardison,
J. G. Reid, D. P. Sexton, A. C. Hawes, P. A. Pham, M. Wang, N. Saada, W. Liu,
H. Sun, M. Scheel, Y. Ding, A. Roy, J. Wiszniewska, A. Willis, D. M. Muzny, S.
E. Plon, J. R. Lupski, A. L. Beaudet, R. A. Gibbs, C. M. Eng, Y. Yang. Maximizing detection and minimizing noise: the first
report of large scale Whole Exome Sequencing data interpretation in a clinical
laboratory. ASHG; November 2012 (314) (Abstract) platform presentation by F.Xia
4- Bekheirnia MR, Zhang W, Eble T, Willis A, Shaibani A, Wong L, Scaglia F, Dhar SU.
POLG mutation in a patient with cataracts, early-onset distal muscle weakness and atrophy, ovarian dysgenesis and 3-methylglutaconic aciduria. presented as poster at department (Mol&Human Genetics) retreat; January 2012
5-Mir Reza Bekheirnia, Merry-Lynn McDonald, Siddharth K. Prakash, Scott A. LeMaire, Dong-Chuan Guo, Ludivine Russell, Ellen S. Regalado, Hossein Golabbakhsh, Ralph J. Johnson, Hazim J. Safi, Anthony L. Estrera, Joseph S. Coselli, Molly S. Bray, Suzanne M. Leal, Dianna M. Milewicz, and John W. Belmont. Pathway Analysis in Genome-Wide Association Study for Sporadic Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection.: presented as poster at department (Mol&Human Genetics) retreat; January 2011
6- Bekheirnia M. R., Shamshirsaz A. A, Schrier R. W. Natural History and Genotype-Phenotype Association in Affected Male X-linked Alport Patients: Preliminary Report
J Am Soc Nephrol; 2006/ Poster presentation in the ASN renal week. San Diego, November, 2006
7-Mir E, Bahrami A, Hossein Nezhad A, Bekheirnia MR, Shafahi AR, Larijani B. ZINC PLASMA CONCENTRATION COULD PREDICT BONE MINERAL DENSITY AND PROTECT OSTEOPOROSIS IN MEN. P527SU, IOF World Congress on Osteoporosis, June 2006 (Abstract)
8-Mir E, Hossein-nezhad A, Bahrami A, Bekheirnia MR, Shafahi AR, Larijani B. ADEQUATE SERUM COPPER CONCENTRATION COULD IMPROVE
PEAK BONE MASS AND POSTPONE BONE LOSS IN WOMEN. P557SU, IOF World Congress on Osteoporosis, June 2006 (Abstract)
9-Bekheirnia M. R., Shamshirsaz A. A, McFann K., Johnson A. M., Cadnapaphornchai M., Schrier R. W. Risk Factors and Outcome in Polycystic Kidney Disease Children: A Comparison between Symptomatic and non-Symptomatic Patients. J Am Soc Nephrol; 2005: 16: 359 A / Poster presentation in ASN meeting 2005
10- Bekheirnia MR,Shamshirsaz AA, Kamgar M… Larijani B. Serum 25 (OH) D and Dietary Calcium Intake are Associated with Bone Mineral Density Acquisition during Puberty. Endocrine Abstracts 2004; 8: P2/ Poster presentation in the 195th Meeting of the Society for
Endocrinology; London, 1-3 November, 2004
11- Bekheirnia MR, Soltani A, Hossein-nejad A et al. Body fat distribution is related to bone mass in healthy population. Late breaker Poster presentation in the 12thInternational Congress of Endocrinology; Lisbon, August 31-September 3, 2004
12- Bekheirnia MR, Soltani A, Hossein-nejad A et al. Central Obesity is Related to Bone Mass: A Survey on Men and Women. Osteoporos Int; 2004; vol. 15, Suppl 2, S44 (Abstract)
13- Shamshirsaz AA, Bekheirnia MR, Kamgar M et al. Evaluation of Bone Mineral Density and Selected Metabolic Markers in Young Thalassemic Patients: A Case Control Study. Osteoporos Int; 2004; vol. 15, Suppl 2, S14 (P5) (Abstract)
14- Bekheirnia MR, Shamshirsaz AA, Kamgar M… Larijani B. Low dietary intake and serum level of zinc and copper in adolescents with beta-thalassemia: association with low bone mass. Ann Nutr Metab; 2003; 47: 498 / Poster presentation in9th European Nutrition Conference; Rome, October 1-4, 2003
15- Bekheirnia MR, Pajouhi M, Sedaghat M, Larijani B, Soltani A,Hamidi Z, Khalili-fard A.R, Adibi H, Hossein-nejad A, Relation of reproductive factors and heel QUS parameters in normal women of Tehran (20-70 Y/O). Osteoporos Int; 2003; vol. 14, Suppl 7, S51/ Poster presentation in4th European Congress on Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis; Nice, November 14-17, 2003
16-Bekheirnia MR,Shamshirsaz AA, Kamgar M… Larijani B. Low bone mass and its relation to serum zinc and copper in young beta-thalassemic patients. Osteoporos Int; 2003; vol. 14, Suppl 7, S20 / Oral presentation in 2nd Young Medics' International Conference" From prevention to intervention" September 26-28, 2003 Yerevan, Armenia
17-Shamshirsaz AA, Bekheirnia MR, Kamgar M, Tabatabaie SM, …Larijani B. Bone Mass in Iranian Adolescence: Normative values for the 10-20 year old population. Proceedings, 2nd Young Medics Conf. From prevention to intervention 2003, p: 84
Educational Booklets (in Farsi)
1-Blood Transfusion in Thalassemia Major Dec 2001 2-Thalassemia Intermedia June 2002
3-Kidney Transplantation Dec 2000 4-Self Care Education for Hemodialysis Patients June 2001 5-Hepatitis C Infection for Dialysis Units; Research and education deputy; CFSD, Reihaneh; Dec 2001